Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Project Update 9/23/08

After completing my project pre-plan I feel I have a better sense of where I am in my project, but I still see much room for improvement. I want to do a career exploration unit with my students, because I feel that middle school is a crucial time to begin exploring interests. Too often adults find themselves in jobs they hate, so I feel if my students have the freedom to research dream careers, perhaps they'll have some sort of plan in mind as they go on throughout their education.
So far I have them doing internet research, PowerPoint presentations, and a multimedia timeline. After seeing Mark's cool tool demo, I think I might try to incorporate slideshare into my project if I can.

3 comments:

julianne said...

Hey, Gretchen! I love, love, love your project idea! I think that kids really need to think about the future and how to get there sooner rather than later. I think that incorporating Slide Share would be a good idea, because a lot of students are burned out on PowerPoint. Keep on truckin' and have a great week!

Anonymous said...

The project idea sounds great. You're right middle schools is a great time to start with careers and there are so many out there that children have no idea even exists. I agree with Juilanne the Slide show idea sounds great. Hope you have a great week!

Erin Noh said...

Hi Gretchen,
The career exploration unit sounds awesome! I wish I had that kind of lesson when I was in middle school.
I thought maybe a short interview video clips from various job background might help the students.

Good luck!